We designated 24 July as ‘Celebration Sunday’ and threw open the new west door to welcome our friends and neighbours during an open house afternoon. It was great to see so many people come along to get their first sight of the new interior and learn about the history of the church from its first incarnation in 1840 up to the present day re-ordering. There was also plenty of chat over tea and cake, and visitors were entertained by music ranging from organ pieces, a flute and piano recital and laid-back jazz saxophone and guitar.
At the main service at 10am that morning we were delighted to be joined by Bishop Andrew who dedicated the new door and gave a special thanksgiving prayer for baptism over the font, now relocated to its traditional place at the west end of the nave. After the service we tucked into a celebration cake and a bring and share lunch.